Early Career Faculty Research Award
One $22,500 grant for basic/translational science, educational, clinical or health outcomes research will be awarded during the VESS winter meeting. The VESS/FYI Early Career Faculty Research Award is specifically designed to help new vascular surgical investigators initiate projects that will lead to extramural funding for basic or clinical research.
Eligible candidates must identify as an early career faculty member. “Early career” implies holding a full-time vascular surgery academic appointment within five (5) years of completing surgical training at the time of grant submission. Senior vascular surgery trainees (2nd year fellows or 5th year residents) are eligible with proof of appointment at an academic medical center upon graduation. The applicant must be a VESS member in good standing.
APPLICATION COMPONENTS (15 pages total, inclusive of all items below):
- Introductory letter (<1 page)*
- Letter of support and oversight from vascular surgery division chief (<1 page)**
- NIH bio-sketch for PI (NIH format, 3 pages)
- Other support (NIH format)
- Title and abstract (<200 words)
- Grant proposal (7 pages)***
- Specific aim (1 page)
- Background (1 page)
- Preliminary data (1 page)
- Project (4 pages)
- Literature citation list (exempt from page limit)
- Budget with justification (1 page)****
- All required documentation should be combined into a single PDF document for submission.
- Page Margins: Layout and format should conform to current NIH standards.
- A summary report is expected to be presented at a future VESS Winter Annual Meeting.
PLEASE SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED MATERIALS, IN A SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT, ELECTRONICALLY TO: email@example.com
Subject Line: Early Career Research Award
For questions, please call the VESS National Office at 978-927-7800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Applicants are not eligible for award if they are funded by similar seed grants from other societies (ie: SVS, ACS, AAS, etc.). The absence of dual/redundant funding should be addressed in the introductory letter.
** Recipients of these awards must demonstrate that they have the commitment for dedicated research time and effort to complete their proposed project during the year of the award. This information should be included in the introductory letter and letter of support letter from the Vascular Division Chief or VESS research mentor.
*** The grant proposal itself should be a maximum of seven (7) pages – anything longer will be administratively triaged and will not be considered by the committee.
**** The funds from these awards are intended to directly fund the research contained within this proposal. No indirect institutional funding is available through this grant mechanism.