VESS / Medtronic Vascular Resident Research Award – 2019
One $12,500 grant for basic/translational science, educational, clinical or health outcomes research will be awarded during the VESS winter meeting in 2019. The VESS/Medtronic Resident Research Award is specifically designed to help residents in training initiate projects during protected academic development time that will lead to future academic potential toward extramural funding for basic or clinical research.
Eligible candidates must identify with an accredited general or integrated vascular surgery residency program. Within the award application, along with a proposed academic development plan, a VESS Member must be identified as either the dedicated research mentor, sponsor or collaborative investigator on this project.
APPLICATION COMPONENTS (15 pages total, inclusive of all items below):
- Introductory letter (<1 page)*
- Letter of support and oversight from the VESS Member (<1 page)**
- NIH bio-sketch for PI and mentor (NIH format, 3 pages in total)
- Title and abstract (<200 words)
- Grant proposal (7 pages)***
- Specific aim (1 page)
- Background (1 page)
- Preliminary data (1 page)
- Project (4 pages)
- Literature citation list (exempt from page limit)
- Budget with justification (1 page)****
- All required documentation should be combined into a single PDF document for submission.
- Page Margins: Layout and format should conform to current NIH standards
- A summary report is expected to be presented at a future VESS Winter Annual Meeting
PLEASE SUBMIT ALL REQUIRED MATERIALS, IN A SINGLE PDF DOCUMENT, ELECTRONICALLY TO: email@example.com
Subject Line: Resident Research Award
For questions, please call the VESS National Office at 978-927-7800 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
* Applicants are not eligible for award if they are funded by similar resident grants from other societies (ie: SVS, ACS, AAS, etc.). The absence of dual/redundant funding should be addressed in the introductory letter. This letter should include a proposed academic development plan.
** Recipients of these awards must demonstrate that they have the dedicated research time to complete their proposed project during the year of the award. This information should be included in the Letter of Support from the VESS Member.
*** The grant proposal itself should be a maximum of seven (7) pages – anything longer will be administratively triaged and will not be considered by the committee.
**** The funds from these awards are intended to directly fund the research contained within this proposal. No indirect institutional funding is available through this grant mechanism.