VESS / W. L. GORE TRAVEL AWARD – 2019
The primary purpose of the VESS / WL Gore Travel Award is to provide the recipient with the opportunity to visit one (or more) vascular surgery centers of excellence. The visit is intended to stimulate academic inspiration and to foster the development of fraternal fellowship in vascular surgery. Achievement of these objectives will enhance the vascular surgery career of a VESS member recipient. This award is not intended to support specific research interests but rather to assist the award recipient in a unique opportunity for travel and professional exchange.
Eligibility for Selection
- Be an active member of the Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society within the first ten years of practice after completing vascular surgery training.
- Be committed to an academic career in vascular surgery and have obtained an academic appointment in a medical school or freestanding clinic devoted to excellence in medical education.
Requirements for Consideration
A candidate submitting documentation for consideration for selection must furnish:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A 1000-word (no more than 2 pages) essay describing the travel plan objectives and how these link with the candidate’s career goals.
- One letter of recommendation. This may be sent from the freestanding clinic or division head, or the chairman of the department of surgery of the institution in which the candidate holds a faculty appointment.
- Required documentation should be combined into a single PDF Document for submission.
Report to Committee
A 500-1500 word report covering your experience should be prepared and forwarded to the Chairman of the VESS Grants & Scholarships Committee within 3 months of completion of your travel dates. You will be required to present this report at a future VESS Annual Winter Meeting.
The generosity of W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc., has facilitated the establishment of this VESS Travel Award. Their graciousness ensures the noncommercial nature of the award and its continuation in years to come. The award will cover up to $5,000 for expenses of travel, research and clerical help. The award monies may not be used for any other purpose.
The required materials as indicated above in “Requirements for Consideration” should be sent to the VESS Administrative Office, and should be sent electronically to email@example.com. The deadline for receiving applications is September 12, 2018. The award will be announced during the 2019 Annual Winter Meeting. It is expected that the winning candidate will be present to accept the award from a representative from W. L. Gore & Associates, Inc.
Letters of intent (essay) CV and recommendation should be directed electronically to:
Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society
Subject line: VESS Travel Award