The primary purpose of the VESS Travel Award is to provide the recipient with the opportunity to visit one (or more) vascular surgery centers of excellence. The visit is intended to stimulate academic inspiration and to foster the development of fraternal fellowship in vascular surgery. Achievement of these objectives will enhance the vascular surgery career of a VESS member recipient. This award is not intended to support specific research interests but rather to assist the award recipient in a unique opportunity for travel and professional exchange.
- Be an active member of the Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society within the first ten years of practice after completing vascular surgery training.
- Be committed to an academic career in vascular surgery and have obtained an academic appointment in a medical school or freestanding clinic devoted to excellence in medical education.
A candidate submitting documentation for consideration for selection must furnish:
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- A 1000-word (no more than 2 pages) essay describing the travel plan objectives and how these link with the candidate’s career goals.
- One letter of recommendation. This may be sent from the freestanding clinic or division head, or the chairman of the department of surgery of the institution in which the candidate holds a faculty appointment.
- Recommend at least one letter of support from the target host institution(s) describing how their institutional experience supports and aligns with supporting the candidates travel plan objectives and career goals.
- Required documentation should be combined into a single PDF Document for submission.
Travel must be completed within 12 months of receipt of funds. A 1000-1500 word report detailing your experience and how the experience has contributed to your career goals should be prepared and forwarded to the Chairman of the VESS Grants & Scholarships Committee within 15 months of receipt of funds. You will be required to present this report at the VESS Annual Winter Meeting following report submission.
The generosity of our industry partners, has facilitated the establishment of this VESS Travel Award. The award will cover up to $5,000 for expenses of travel, research and clerical help. The award monies may not be used for any other purpose. Recipient is required to turn in travel receipts prior to the presentation at the 2022 VESS annual meeting.
The required materials as indicated above in “Requirements for Consideration” should be sent electronically to the VESS Administrative Office, to firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline for receiving applications is September 8, 2023. The award will be announced during the 2024 Annual Winter Meeting. It is expected that the winning candidate will be present to accept the award.
Letters of intent (essay) CV and recommendation should be directed electronically to:
Vascular and Endovascular Surgery Society
Subject line: VESS Travel Award